My walks.

I have been walking regularly since 1987, when my elder daughter joined the family and I became a more responsible man.

Walks have since been an integral part of my life. If I do not go for the morning walk, I miss something and if this continues for more than a few days at a stretch I have noticed I was not comfortable. Classic withdrawal symptoms of an addict one would say.

Yes. I am an addict of walking, especially the morning ones. And I would like to do it alone at my pace. That is the time I use to reflect on many fundamental issues and plan, partly dreaming of course. After the dawn of iPod, I started listening to music and podcasts. The varied lectures and discussions I listened to enriched me and opened new vistas that helped me engage with the next generation.

My favourite Podcasts vary from BBC Forum, BBC Discovery, DFJ Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders from Stanford University, audio book of 'The Economist', HBR Idea Cast and of course a couple of local news from NDTV. Overall the 27 minute Podcast of the BBC is absolutely ideal for me, as I turn off at the sea. Then on it is the turn of iTunes and my favourite ragas or artist. Listening to Carnatic music, especially a Kamboj, or Bilahari sung by my favourite artist like Abhishek or Sanjay is another event which I love.

Talking about the sea ~ the wind, waves splashing on the shores and the noise with the early morning sun rising above the way is such an addictive sight that I would not miss it for anything.

I have also been using an app since 2011 ' Map my Run' during these walks. And this App brought its own incentives. It collates data, while recording the speed. It gives me the feel of those days when I am little under weather, as I will not be able to do the 9.4 minute a KM and I know that I must be cautious. Other benefits include, a macro view - like it gives a monthly, annual summary and averages etc. So what are my walk statistics:
  1. It has informed me that I do around 220 walks across each year ~ which means that at least I exercise for 4 days a week. 
  2. I have not dropped my speed - 9 1/2 minutes per Mover 4 years and that is very good, considering that I am 59. 
  3. It allows me to listen to my favourite podcasts and audio version of 'The Economist". 
The app worked very well through the years and helped me. I love this app and recommend this for everyone, who wants to track his workout to ensure that a habit is born and maintained.

So as I sign off this Blog, my only wish till the end I do these walks and see my favourite sea, listening to a Podcast in the route upto the sea and switching over to one of my favourite rags in iTunes on the return.


No comments: