Quitting Facebook makes one Happy

I read with interest the news item that 'Quitting Facebook makes one Happy' as I tend to agree. It is just by chance that I logged out of Facebook from all my devices a couple of days ago ~ just before the ensuing festival of Deepavali.

I felt better. And I didn't miss much.

And why I didn't I miss this. There are four main reasons:

  1. I finished a novel in the two days; yes back to my old speed in finishing off a novel. 
  2. I felt happy not to see Time, Washington post, The Economist and TED talks. I started feeling the normal person I am instead of what the Facebook posting was trying to turn me to. 
  3. I was glad that I didn't have to see and like the cliches for Deepavali from friends, acquaintances and relatives turned Facebook friends.
  4. And finally, I spent more time out of the web.
I have still not logged on to my account. Yes I do so once in a day and immediately log out. I like it this way and this is going to be the way here afterward.

Today's Readers Editor column " Journalism is more than algorithms" reinforces my belief that Facebook is increasingly assuming that it knows it all and is loosing its humility, in the chase of ever competitive advertising dollar. This approach may undo all that it is good in it. I wish more sense would prevail on them.

No comments: