Hindu Dharma as I see it in the present world

An insightful article by Sri. Shiv Viswanathan titled 'Victims of war, apostles of peace' set me thinking as to what I identify as 'Hinduism' and why I am proud of calling myself as a 'Hindu'. Sri Shiv Viswanathan is a columnist and social thinker, whose views tend to bring new perspectives,

Yes I am theist and I believe in 'Hinduism'.

Our beloved Prime minister, has spent many days at a stretch and brought the attention of the world to India and its millions who are increasingly preparing to interact with the world's commerce and society at large. So there is increased attention on India and its unique offering of 'Hinduism' given that the platform in which he has claimed this spot is identified with 'Hinduism'. At the same time to may be distract an 'intolerance' debate is kept live and routinely stoked. Since everything touches, 'Hinduism' and what it stands for I thought I must question myself and answer it.

Hinduism is a way of life for me. One of its greatest 'virtues' is the definition of 'Dharmam'. What is 'Dhramam' for me is relevant to me and in my context. It need not be yours or anybody else's 'Dharma'. That doesn't it make it wrong.

It helps me understand and appreciate, uniqueness of every being and situation. It makes me realise that I am what I am because of this unique quality of creation and must therefore respect other's uniqueness.

So, how has this concept of 'Hindu' helped me through the years? To start with it has made me healthy. It has given me a sense of superiority as I believe that this concept helps me accept perceived defeats and explains the many games mind play on you, such as disappointments in finances, challenges in professional space, and rare snatching away of loved ones from amongst us. It has helped me more tolerant and may be turned to be more or less being docile to accept and practice 'Secularism' as I perceive it.

It has allowed me to change the way I lead my life whenever I choose to - from being a highly ritualistic person in the years, after marriage to minimising it now. It has helped me realise that I have to help others and above all in the context of what Shiv Viswanathan has said, it has made me non violent and abhor any form of violence.


No comments: