All in the spirit of Eligibility.

All in the spirit of Eligibility by Suhrith Parthasarathy, does show up some interesting views.

But my views are as indicated in the 'Letter to Editor', not published but as I am not in agreement. I am copying it for my friends.

Dear Editor,

I am not in agreement to the views expressed in the article "All in the spirit of Equality" in the Lead page on 4th Jan '16 .

I for one agree with the Policy Makers and the highest court of the country that Liquor in public places should be banned. Making exemptions for only 5 Star Hotels could be seen, as a breach of the fundamental right by some. I would argue that any Indian Citizen or a visiting individual to this country could go to a 5 Star hotel and drink. So, where is the question of denying the fundamental right?

On the other hand, by not making available Liquor freely in public places, it is definitely a step to ensure that the State of Kerala does not retain the ignominious title of being the number one State for consumption of Alcohol. 

I would also see this as a Negative Reservations. 

We are used to positive reservations by way of reserving seats for the under privileged in our Educational Institutions and Governmental Departments.  

Now, let us get used to denial of such privileges, because we are not privileged.

Both are for the same social aim – improve the living conditions of those living below the poverty line, either through their choice or inherited.

Regards,


No comments: