My experience at the Endoscopy table

The pain in my stomach which was intermittent over the last two years, increased in intensity and frequency, which caused a little bit of anxiety to me and family. This prompted us to look for a competent doctor near our apartment at Adyar. We therefore landed at Dr. JinaDas, who after preliminary examination, recommended that I do an Endoscopy to profile my internals.

Initially, I resisted; but wanting a permanent solution, decided to go for the same.

It was a Sunday and all was very nice. I went for my morning walk as usual to the beach and took in my day's quota of Ozone, together with vitamin D from the morning rays. That day's podcast was also very interesting; Podcast from "The Economist" - Technology Quarterly .

Since I was to report to the Endoscopy center empty stomach, I starved till 9:30 and reported promptly 5 minutes ahead of my appointment at the centre. The girls there were very pleasant and efficient. I believe it is in their genes being Keralites! I was put through the normal drill of basic measurements by the malu girls and then made to wait for the Doctor.

When it was my turn with the Doctor, I entered the room with my wife eagerly tagging along. I was briefed by the Doctor in a very professional way and I could sense that he was attempting to make me feel at ease.

After that he started working on his desktop and looking at the monitor he shot a series of questions at me; all to understand (and I presume record)the symptoms, habits, background, previous illness, causes of allergy etc. I presume he was satisfied with my answers and he did not show any strong reaction(which I presume is natural).

MY wife had to move out of the room, when the test started (and I understood through the process why she had to go) and in the first step I was given a portion of bitter liquid which i had to gargle for a minute and then swallow. The Doctor made sure that I had no dental problem before administering the dose. He had told me that the liquid was a local anesthesia, which would remove the sensation in the path through which the endoscopy probe will travel. I realized that the anesthesia had started its job, only when the probe was being inserted.

The probe is a small cable, some thing similar to the clutch cable you will find in cycle, but with an optic fiber embedded in it, At the leading end of the probe, a tiny camera with bright light source is attached. Patient's mouth is kept open by a plastic wedge which the patient has to hold between his teeth and the probe is inserted through a hole in the plastic wedge.

As the probe travels, it captures the images, which are recorded and simultaneously displayed on a small screen, which the patient can also see. The Doctor sees the same screen and this Doctor was giving a running commentary of the advancement of the probe(may be his voice was also being recorded). It was all nice as it started and all was pleasant.

As the probe was passing adjacent to my heart, I suddenly felt the sensation of the probe. Immediately my system took over and I was trying to vomit out the probe. I was pushing out the probe through my internal system with all the force I can muster and it was very scary. The Doctor banged the head table where I was resting my head and warned me that I could create a major situation if I continue to do try and push out the probe. I could sense that there was tension in the theatre as I could feel multiple hands presumably of the nurses, till then not visible, but now preparing to hold.

The Doctor was by now shouting "Relax there is nothing you can do; you will only harm yourself if you try to do something!!". Believe me; I consciously decided to listen to him. I relaxed and in the next few seconds everything was back to normal.

The probe completed the travel as planned and identified the Ulcer, which has just formed. I am now being treated for the ulcer.

The experience, has given me the confidence to face any eventuality with total resignation; may be that is what people call near death experience!!


6 comments:

Arthy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arthy said...

I looked up the net to see if endoscopy was a dangerous procedure.. but it all says there's minimal risk in it! I guess apart from the bitter anaesthetic they gave you to numb the pathway, you should've been given an IV injection of deremol a mild tranquilliser..so that your body's reaction to the foreign tube is reduced!:( Anyway maybe it was a near-death experience cos you're unfamiliar with these medical tests, and it's the first of it's kind you're undergoing..but actually you are way too stable mentally & physically for anything to happen! So here's to your happy, healthy loooonng life daddu!:-)

Bala said...

Thanks ppl

GI Endoscopy Practice said...

Good info about endoscopy. I would like to share it with my followers. Thanks

nameplates said...

Thanks for sharing about endoscopy. Used stryker 1288 HD camera is the new development in the endoscopic cameras where it allows the user to use it with wireless capabilities in the operating rooms. These cameras have four fully programmable buttons on their head which help in giving and receiving the command from the surgeon. Also, they have more improved resolution with the light source.

Alfa Gastro & Liver Care said...

Searching for Gastroenterology Hospital in Ahmedabad? Know More...

Gastroenterologist Doctor In Ahmedabad
Best Gastroenterologist in Ahmedabad